1910 - 1959
Born at Brandfort, Orange Free State.
Studied architecture at WITS, in 1934 went to London to continue studies and in 1936 left for Continent for training as a sculptor.
Lectured and wrote several articles then decided in 1945 to devote himself to sculpture as the analytical academic life was not conducive to his creative instinct.
Received grant from Council for Social Research, bought a houseboat, installed a studio and travelled Europe.
Hendrikz returned to Johannesburg and set up studio to carry out various commissions, then retiring on farm in Plettenberg.
First Afrikaans sculptor to come after realists (ie Van Wouw), following modern trends.
His work displays his awareness of the affinity between sculpture and architecture – powerful, geometrical and highly expressive interplay of line and surfaces; noticeable balance between horizontal and vertical lines. His figures are strong & vigorous – Hendrikz distils reality to a simple plastic form which expresses the essence of his vision. Apart from private commissions he made numerous sculptural decorations for public buildings.